Wednesday, December 31, 2008

That Was Some Year

It may come as no surprise to those who know me well, but I love the comic strip Mutts. Patrick McDonnell is not only an excellent illustrator, but he manages to incorporate thoughtful messages into his strip without becoming preachy. The strip below was posted December 28th, and it sparked an episode of contemplation.



Every New Years Eve the focus seems to revolve around looking forward into the future. The allure of an untouched, unseasoned year brings promise of a new beginning. It is a chance to start with a proverbial clean slate, to resolve to reinvent and amend ourselves, to look forward to opportunity with unbridled optimism.

While I share in the enthusiasm for a sparkling new year, it is important to remember how we traveled through the past 365 days. We are who we are today because of the things we experienced yesterday. This New Years Eve I will be taking a few moments to reflect on my journey through 2008. How was I successful? Where did I fall short? Who has entered and touched my life? Who is no longer here? What was inspiring? What was beautiful? How have I grown? It was interesting to revisit 2008, and I was surprised at how many seemingly little moments and images that emerged in my mind. I encourage you to take the time to flip through your mental photo album- 2008 was an interesting journey, I bet.

May you all have a fabulous, magical, and safe last evening of 2008. See you in the new year!

Image: Mutts © 2008 Patrick McDonnell. Distributed by King Features Syndicate, Inc.
Please visit http://muttscomics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment